Development of management tools
Existing forest management planning systems are based on growth models for even-aged, monoculture forests in a clear-cut system followed by replanting. As CNF is aiming to generate unevenaged, mixed-species forests, this is a not an optimal basis for decision makers to enter into CNF and those already practicing CNF are in need of updated tools.
The activity includes the following elements:
- Adaptation of growth models and economic models
- Assessment of robustness effects
- Remote sensing technique adapted to natural / heterogeneous stands
- Develop cost-effective CO2 and biodiversity indicators
- Develop concept for close-to-nature management planning and testing it in three private forests.